Friday, October 26, 2007

Goodness from Bad Times


I was locked out of my office this am...so I ran some errands while listening to NPR. I caught this great story about NPR affiliate KPBS.
I know it's so cliche but I love hearing stories about good things that arise from tragedy.
The smart folks at KPBS created an up to the minute detailed map for the residents of San Diego. They worked around the clock to show house by house, structure by structure the location of the fires, it was so advanced and detailed that Google is now incorporating the tech into its own maps (see above) Google When the maps crashed, Google was there to help make sure it sayed afloat. At one point the station was surrounded by flames and forced to evacuate a neighboring commercial station went offline and hosted KPBS instead of the usual lineup. Click here to listen to the story.
If you want to make a donation to victims of the fire here are some links:
American Red Cross - www.redcross.org
Salvation Army - www.salvationarmy-socal.org
The Los Angeles Society for the Prevention of Cruelty to Animals - www.spcala.com

Digg this