Tuesday, January 15, 2008

Go Sis!!!!


Kudos to my sista for lending a hand (or feet in this matter)!!!
Dear Friends and Family,
In 2001, I walked 60 miles in 48 hours, slept in a tent with a complete stranger, showered in a truck, went to the bathroom in a jiffy john, ate by a train track, and developed 36 blisters and numerous muscle cramps. And it was all for the Avon Walk for Breast Cancer. I swore I would never do it again. But a lot has changed since then. In 2001, I walked in my Father's honor to support his battle with Cancer. My son, Justin, hadn't been born yet, and I thought my Dad would live forever. Unfortunately, my Dad lost his battle with Cancer on July 21st, 2005. So this year, I'm walking in my Dad's memory.Throughout his battle, my Dad was very lucky to have access to good hospitals, state-of-the-art treatments, educational resources, and in the end, an amazing support system. Unfortunately, many women struggling with Breast Cancer in the DC area aren't as lucky. Here are a few startling facts to consider...Breast Cancer kills approximately one woman every 14 minutes, robbing us of our mothers and grandmothers, our sisters and aunts, cousins and best friends3 million women are living with Breast Cancer and one third don't even know itNo one knows what causes Breast Cancer or how to prevent itI don't know about you, but I REFUSE to accept the fact that there's nothing I can do. And since Cancer has touched my family, I feel more compelled than ever to do something--anything--to bring us one step closer to finding a cure. On May 3rd and 4th of this year--I'll join thousands in the DC area to walk 39 miles in the Avon Walk for Breast Cancer. But to participate, I need your help. I'm required to raise a minimum of $1800 to walk, but my goal is $5,000. I'm willing to walk the walk--blisters, jiffy johns and all--if you'll find in your heart to financially support my quest.Our unwavering mission is to provide badly needed funds to eventually find a cure for Breast Cancer--with a focus on medically underserved women, the underprivileged, the elderly and the under- or uninsured. Funds are awarded to medical research to:Explore potential causes, prevention, treatment and cure of Breast CancerProvide clinical care for Breast Cancer patientsSupport services for patients and their familiesFund educational seminars and early-detection programsOne of the things that attracted me to this Walk is that they're looking at the entire picture--cause, cure, care and support. While researchers have made significant progress in the last few years, there's still much that needs to be done. I know that the journey I'm about to embark on doesn't compare with the challenges that my Dad and other Cancer patients face. For each blister, each muscle cramp, for every time I think I can't possibly go any father--I'll think of the small steps I'm taking for those who are no longer with us. But through us, the thousands on this vital crusade, their spirits surely endure. Victory for me will be crossing the finish line and surpassing my fundraising goal. I invite you to be a part of it. Please click the link to my personal page below and donate to the walk. Anything you can contribute will help to be that much closer to hitting my goal.Please do what you can. And thank you so much for your much-needed support, both financial and emotionally. It means more to me than I can convey in a letter. With your money and my soon-to-be blistered feet, we can touch the lives of so many people who need our help.
Sincerely,
Stephanie Sall Bailey

Digg this